Journey as an film actor/musician:
Actor Johnny Depp was born John Christopher Depp II, in Owensboro, Kentucky, on June 9, 1963, to parents John and Betty Sue Depp. Depp’s father worked as a civil engineer and his mother worked as a waitress and homemaker. The youngest of four children, Depp was withdrawn and a self-admitted oddball.
( Picture: Johnny Depp as a child)
At 16, Depp dropped out of high school and joined the garage band, The Kids. The group became successful enough but they barely made ends meet.
In 1983, at the age of 20, Johnny met and married 25-year-old makeup artist Lori Allison. That same year, the couple moved to L.A. with Depp’s band in the hopes of striking it big. Still living on a shoestring budget, Depp and his band mates supported themselves by selling pens for a telemarketing firm.
A year later, Depp fell into acting when his wife introduced him to her ex-boyfriend, actor Nicolas Cage. Cage saw potential in Depp, and introduced the hopeful musician to a Hollywood agent. After several small roles as a film extra, Depp landed his first legitimate movie role in the horror film Nightmare on Elm Street (1984).
Depp started to study acting in earnest, first in classes at the Loft Studio in Los Angeles and then with a private coach. The lessons paid off in 1987, when he replaced actor Jeff Yagher in the role of undercover cop Tommy Hanson in the popular Canadian-filmed television series 21 Jump Street. The role thrust Depp into almost immediate stardom. He became a teen idol overnight; a title that he greatly resented.
Engagement as an philanthropist, activist:
When Depp’s 8-year-old daughter, Lily-Rose was hospitalized, Depp and Vanessa Paradis put their lives to hold. When his daughter finally recovered, Depp decided to devote his time and money to do good works for children’s hospital.
The Great Ormond Street Hospital, where Lily had her surgery, specializes in the most life threatening conditions, regularly treating 150,000 patients a year. Depp donated a pledge of $1.96 million for the redevelopment of two-thirds of the hospital site. Following his donation, he visited the hospital himself and spent a day in a Pirates of the Caribbean’s Captain Jack Sparrow’s costume to read bedtime stories to the young patients. Even after his donation, he would drop in unannounced, always dressed as a pirate.
- Johnny Depp is also an active member of ‘sophies gift’, which helps the children in coma by using celebrity’s personal video to patients. It is a a growing database of celebrity messages aimed at helping coma patients and raising funds for crucial hospital equipment.
- Depp supports Helen house, a registered UK charity providing respite and end of life care for children and young adults with life-shortening conditions, as well as support and friendship for the whole family. Johnny donated underwear to a charity auction benefitting Helen & Douglas House. The winner bid £1600 ($3000).
- Depp also made contributions to the Children Hospital Los Angeles, which provides seriously ill children with medical care from some of the country’s best doctors regardless of their families’ ability to pay.
- He autographed items for an auction to benefit Julian House.
Achievement and recognition
- Johnny Depp’s first major award was the ‘London Film Critics’ Circle Award’ for ‘Actor of the Year’, which he received in 1995 for his roles in ‘Don Juan DeMarco’ and ‘Ed Wood.’
- The versatile actor achieved an honorary ‘César’, France’s national film award, in 1999.
- In 2008, Depp won a ‘Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture’ for his role in ‘Sweeney Todd’. He also get ‘Best Villain’ at the ‘MTV Movie Awards’ for the same role later that same year.
- From 2011-2014, the talented actor has won the People’s Choice Awards for Favorite Movie Actor on three occasions.
- He has also received numerous Teen Choice and Kids’ Choice awards throughout his career.
- John received the ‘MTV Generation Award’ in 2012, the same year that ‘Guinness World Records’ listed Depp as the highest paid actor.
- He also won in an outstanding performance male actor as a leading role in “Pirates of the Caribbean: the curse of the black pearl” in 2003.
- He won numerous awards for his best performance in the movie “Pirates of the Caribbean”
- Johnny Depp was born on June 9, 1963 in Owensboro, Kentucky. The youngest of the four children of John Christopher Depp and Elizabeth “Betty” Sue Wells, Depp’s early aspirations were rooted in a deep appreciation of rock music.
- Depp formed a bond with his mother’s second husband, singer Robert Palmer, whom he cited as an inspirational person in his life.
- In December of 1983, he married the sister of one of the band members of ‘Rock City Angels’, Lori Anne Allison. He supported himself financially by working as a telemarketer while his wife worked as a makeup artist. But the marriage culminated in a divorce two years later.
- In 1986, he became engaged to, but never married, a then aspiring actress named Sherilyn Fenn but the relationship ended in the later ’80s.
- After that the actor had a long-term off and on relationship with French singer Vanessa Paradis from 1988 through 2012. Paradis is also the mother of Depp’s two children.
- Their daughter Lily-Rose Melody Depp was born in 1999 and their son John Christopher Depp III came along three years later.
(Picture: Johnny Depp’s daughter, Lily Rose Melody Depp)
( Picture: Johnny Depp’s son, John Christopher Depp III )
- Throughout the late ’80s and into the early ’90s, he also had relationships with Dirty Dancing star Jennifer Grey, his Edward Scissorhands co-star Winona Ryder and supermodel Kate Moss. In 2015, he married his second wife, actress Amber Heard which soon ended in divorce in January 13, 2017)
(Pic: Johnny Depp with his ex-wife, Amber Heard)
Donald Trump’s the Art of Deal: The Movie( Feb 10, 2016):
Donald Trump’s The Art of the Deal: The Movie is a 2016 American parody film released on February 10, 2016, by producer Funny or Die. It is a satire of businessman and eventual President of the United States Donald Trump, released during his 2016 campaign for President of the United States.
Alice Through the Looking Glass (2016):
Alice Through the Looking Glass is a 2016 American fantasy adventure film. It is the sequel to the 2010 film Alice in Wonderland. The film stars Johnny Depp, Anne Hathaway, Mia Wasikowska, Matt Lucas, Rhys Ifans, Helena Bonham Carter and Sacha Baron Cohen.
Johnny Depp plays the role of Tarrant Hightopp, the Mad Hatter. He plays as a crazy, wacky hatter who meets Alice when she shows up in Wonderland. He appears as a guest in “House of Mouse”
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (November 18, 2016):
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is a 2016 fantasy film directed by David Yates and distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures. A spin-off of the Harry Potter film series, it was produced and written by J. K. Rowling.
Johnny Depp plays as Gellert Grindelwald: one of the most dangerous dark wizards of all time. He makes a short appearance at the end of the movie.
Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow is back to sail the high seas in his new movie, Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Men Tell No Tales. It is scheduled to hit theaters on May 26, 2017.
The highly anticipated sneak peek comes more than a year after producer Jerry Bruckheim revealed the first photos of Johnny as Captain Jack Sparrow on social media. “Captain Jack is back and we’re not letting him go,” he shared on Instagram as the actor donned his signature costume featuring long hair, a scraggly beard and more than a few swords.
( The first photo from Pirate of the Carribean: Dead Men Tell No Tales)
Johnny Depp and Amber Heard divorce finalized at January 13, 2017:
Johnny Depp and Amber Heard finally get parted after 2 years of marriage. Depp had agreed to pay Amber $7 million to settle the divorce.
As for the $7 mil, Johnny has already paid $200k. He owes $1 million more 3 days from Friday. He’ll owe another mil next month, another mil in May, and still another mil in August. And then there’s $500k in August and finally $2.3 mil in February 2018. As a result he is having quite money problem.
Johnny Depp won People’s Choice Awards as Favourite Movie Icon( January 19, 2017):
He was named Favourite Movie Icon last night at the People’s Choice Awards. Johnny had a couple of major releases in 2016 – Alice Through The Looking Glass and Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them.