Salman Khan: journey as an Actor:
Abdul Rashid Salman Khan, often known as Salman Khan is an actor, producer, singer, television personality and Philanthropist.
He began his career as an actor with a supporting role of Biwi Ho Toh Aisi in 1998, and received the leadig role thereafter in 1989 for the movie Maine Pyar Kiya. In 1990s, Salman was able to earn a fame with the release of the movies: Hum Apke Hain Koun, Karan Arjun, Biwi No. 1, Hum Saath Saath Hain, and Kuch Kuch Hota Hain. After a brief breakdown in 2000s, he achieved greater stardom in 2010 by playing the role of lead actor in several action films. These include: Dabbang (2010), Bodyguard (2011), Ek Tha Tiger (2012), Kick (2014), Bajrangi Bhaijaan (2014), and Sultan (2016).
His journey as a Producer, Television personality, Brand Endorser, and Mentor:
In 2011, Salman launched his own production company called Salman Khan Being Human Productions. Profit of film was for donation to Being Human. The first film made under the name was Chillar Party
In 2014, he launched another Production House called Salman Khan Film. The films under this banner were Dr. Crabbie, Hero, and Bajrangi Bhaijaan.
In 2008, Salman Khan hosted 10 Ka Dum, which happened to achieve a top rating in India. In 2010 he again hosted Big Boss. Big Boss happened to be another greater success in India.
Salman Khan was associated with the Brand when he did the advertisement for Campa Cola, Limca soft drinks, and Honda Bikes.Even he was involved in advertisements before he began his acting career. After becoming superstar, he signed in for superstar which was later replaced by Akshay Kumar. He also became the Brand Ambassador of the travel website Yatra.com. Salman Khan is also a brand ambassador of Detergent Powder, Wheel. He has also done a jewellery brand, Sangini with Kareena Kapoor. He is also the face of Ranbaxy’s Revital. Currently, Salman Khan has stood as a Brand Ambassador of Dubai-based Fashion label Splash. He got a Brand Ambassador of civic body Bombay Municipal Corporation’s drive against open defecation of Mumbai.
Salman Khan as a Philanthropist:
- Salman Khan started an NGO which sells T-shirts and other products online and in stores. A portion of sales goes to the unprivileged. In the initial phase, Salman Khan set up and funded the Foundation using his own money. The Foundation has two areas: Education and Health Care. To increase the reach of the Foundation, Salman Khan has undertaken initiatives such as Being Human Art, Being Human merchandise, and Being Human Gitanjali Gold Coins. In 2012, he established his own production Company called Salman Khan Being Human Productions (SKBHP). Money generated under the banner will be donated to Being Human.
- In 2012, Khan offered to pay INRs. 4 million for releasing around 400 prisoners from around 63 prisons in the state of Uttar Pradesh via his NGO. As a result, the prisoners had completed their term but due to economical reasons, they were unable to pay a legal fine for their charges.
- In July 2015, Khan donate the profit generated from one of his movies ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ among the poor farmers all over India.
Khan’s Personal Life:
- In 1999, Khan began dating Bollywood actress Aishwarya Rai. They separated in the year 2001.
- Khan then started dating Katrina Kaif who then separated in the year 2010.
- Khan has never married because of which his relationship status has always been a topic of keen interest among his fans.
- In 2011, Khan admitted that he is suffering from Trigeminal Neuralgia, which is a facial nerve disorder and is commonly known as ‘suicide disease’. It even affected his voice, making it much harsher.
Awards and Recognition:
Some of the prominent wins of Salman Khan include:
- 1990 – Film-fare Award for Best Male Debut for Maine Pyar Kiya
- 1999 – Film-fare Award for Best Supporting Actor for Kuch Kuch Hota Hai
- 2002 – Bollywood Movie Award – Most Sensational Actor for Chori Chori Chupke Chupke
- 2008 – Apsara Best Jodi Award (with Govinda) for Partner and Best Anchor by Indian Television Awards for 10 Ka Dum (Season 1 and 2).
- 2011 – Star Screen Award for Best Actor, Most Entertaining Film Actor Award by BIG Star Entertainment , Stardust Award for Star of the Year – Male, Airtel Super Star Unique Andaz – Male and Apsara Best Actor in a Leading Role for Dabangg. Also Most Entertaining Actor in an Action Role by BIG Star Entertainment Awards and Airtel Super Star Hero and Romantic Jodi (with Kareena Kapoor) for Bodyguard. Also awarded for Best Host on Television by The Global Indian Film and TV Honours for Bigg Boss (Season 4)
- 2012 – Stardust Award for Star of the Year – Male for Bodyguard & Ready and 2012 – People’s Choice Awards Favorite Movie Actor for Ek Tha Tiger.
- 2013 – Screen Award for movie Dabangg 2
- 2015 – BIG Star Most Entertaining Actor in a Social Role and IIFA Award for Bajrangi Bhaijaan.
- 2004 – Voted as the 7th best-looking man in the world and the best looking man in India by People magazine, U.S.
- 2007 – Rajiv Gandhi Award for his Outstanding achievement in entertainment
- 2008 – The fourth Indian actor to replicate as a wax statue Madame Tussauds wax museum in London.
- 2009 – Aaj Tak Movie Masala Award for Best Actor for Wanted
- 2010 – Voted as sexiest man alive by People magazine, India.
- 2010 – IIFA Award for Habitat Humanity Ambassadorship
- 2011 – Bollywood Hungama Surfers Choice Movie Awards for Best Actor, Newsmaker for Dabangg and Bigg Boss (Season 4).Voted the most desirable man by The Times of India, ETC Bollywood Business Award for ETC Most Profitable Actor (India) and also awarded by 17th International Children’s Film Festival for Best Feature Film for Chillar Party
- 2012 – Masala Awards for Box Office Star Of The Year (Male)
- 2012 – Another life wax statue in Madame Tussauds wax museum in New York,
- 2013 – India’s Most Searched Celebrity Online
- 2014 – Topped the Forbes India chart for both fame and revenue
- 2015 – Forbes listed him 7th as the World’s Highest Paid Actors
Some of the controversies of Khan’s life. These include:
On 2002, Khan was arrested for his negligent driving after his car ran into the Bakery in Mumbai. But in 2015, all the charges found to be guilty of the same. According to the Bombay Session Court, he was driving the car under the influence of alcohol causing the death of one and serious injury to four homeless people. Salman Khan, being represented by Senior Counsel Amit Desai was granted bail by the Bombay High Court till 8 May 2015, on which the court suspended his prison sentence until the final appeal hearing in July.
His driver Ashok Singh, gave the testimony that he was driving the car at the time of accident, was charged with perjury for misguiding the Court with false testimony and was arrested. Therefore, in December 2015, Khan was acquitted of all charges from this case, due to lack of evidence. The Supreme Court on July 5, 2016 admitted a plea by the Maharashtra government that challenged the acquittal of Salman Khan in this hit-and-run case by the Bombay High Court. Finally, the court refused to fast-track the case.
Relationship with Aishwarya Rai
His relationship with the actress Aishwarya Rai was a hot topic in media. After their break-up Aishwarya accused him of harassing her. As a result, Rai claimed that he did not come into the terms of their break-up and was hounding her. In 2005, news outlets released what was said to be an illicit copy of a mobile phone call recorded in 2001 by the Mumbai police. It appeared to be a call in which he threatened Rai, in an effort to force her to appear at social events held by Mumbai crime figures. The call featured boasts of connections to organized crime and derogatory comments about other actors. However, the alleged tape was tested in the government’s Forensic lab in Chandigarh, which concluded that it was fake.
Salman Khan and Katrina will be heading to Austria soon
(31st of Jan, 2017)
Salman Khan and Katrina Kaif are re-uniting for the sequel of ‘Ek Tha Tiger’. While, Ek Tha Tiger, a love story revolved around Indian Spy who fell in love with the Pakistani agent and a sequel, ‘Tiger Hai Zinda’ would be a political thriller which focuses on political issues.
According to the report, Salman and Katrina will head to Austria in March to kick-start the film’s shoot. With ‘Tiger Zinda Hai’, Salman and Katrina will cast their spell on the silver screen after five years.